Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, November 13, 2017

Thankful For What Didn't Happen

"Be grateful for what you have and stop complaining -- it bores everybody else, does you no good, and doesn't solve any problems."
--Zig Ziglar

I guess most people pause however briefly, and try to be thankful for their blessings around this time of year. Usually we include things we take for granted all year. But, have we ever stopped to be thankful for things that we don’t have; for things that didn’t happen?

I’m grateful that our community wasn’t devastated by a fierce tornado or hurricane this year. I’m glad no trees fell across the roof or through a window, and no power lines lay tangled in the yard.

I’m thankful that El Nino hasn’t yet lashed across our state with abnormal weather: raging fires that consume everything in their path; rolling waters that climb across shoelines, flooding homes and businesses; blizzard conditions that blanket a town and halt all activity. 

I’m glad my community didn’t have an outbreak of dreaded infection or contagious disease. I’m grateful that malnutrition and hunger didn’t bring pain to children’s faces in my community.

I’m thankful I didn’t spend time the past year as a hospital patient. I’m thankful I wasn’t in an accident that left me injured, with a long recovery time.


At the same I’m being thankful for having missed some bad events of the past year, I’m also thankful for the good things.

I’m thankful for the privileges I have because I live in America and for the responsibilities those privileges bring to me. I’m grateful for teachers, from pre-school through college, who teach because they love the student and want to help the student discover learning.

I’m thankful for my town’s police department and fire department that provide for the safety and well-being of our citizens. I’m grateful for every health care worker and medical professional in my area who remains dedicated to the health and welfare of their patients.

I’m thankful for all things electronic. They make my life easier and more interesting even though I can’t understand them.

I’m grateful for neighbors who care. I’m thankful for books to read, sunsets to enjoy, and grandchildren to love.

Most of all, as I count my blessings on Thanksgiving Day, I’m glad I have Someone to thank. “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name” (Psalm 100:4).


NOTE: If you received this blog post in an email and you'd like to leave a comment or check out something on the sidebar, please click on the title of this post and it will take you to the website where you can do that.



My latest book has released – Betty’s Blessing, a novella, book #2 in the California Bound series. (Book #1 in the series is Donna’s Detour.) Here is the cover, and you can read more about the book and the first chapter here


No comments:

Post a Comment