Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, October 17, 2016

First a Dream


As you dream, so shall you become. The greatest achievement was at first and for a time, a dream.
–From As A Man Thinketh by James Allen, British philosophical writer, 1864-1912 


Thank goodness for dreams. Where would we be without them?

I can imagine the Wright Brothers’ parents and teachers were concerned because the boys perhaps daydreamed instead of doing homework and chores. Probably not many believed the boys would accomplish such lofty dreams. Who back then would have imagined we’d be flying nonstop across oceans just because the first airplane started as a dream?

First air flight by the Wright Brothers

Maybe Thomas Edison dreamed of having sufficient lighting by which to do his tasks. Then he put his dreams to the trial-and-error tests of invention. Because of Edison’s dream, we can now illuminate 100,000-seat arenas at night, using them as if it were the middle of the day.

Moving a dream from the stage of being a dream, over into reality, requires decision-making. Making the decision to be willing to pay the price. Have you ever wondered what a dream costs? But, you might say, dreams are free, aren’t they? It doesn’t cost anything to dream.

Correct, but what’s the cost of a “dream come true?” Perhaps one price the Wright Brothers paid for their dream was the scoffing and ridicule from those unbelievers around them. 

Dreams come in all sizes and in all areas of our life. Sometimes we go after dreams we shouldn’t. And sometimes we turn loose of worthwhile dreams. We can realize some dreams easily, others are more difficult to reach. The price of my dream is not the price of your dream, and vice versa.

We’ve all probably had dreams for ourselves, our family, our community, our world. Have you ever realized a dream? Have you ever had a dream die?

Dreams are hopeful things. They challenge us and keep us growing. 

Carl Sandburg said, “Nothing happens unless first a dream.”

NOTE: If you received this blog post in an email and you'd like to leave a comment or check out something on the sidebar, please click on the title of this post and it will take you to the website where you can do that.



You can keep up-to-date with my writing by signing up for my mailing list. You'll receive a free quarterly e-newsletter and timely announcements about happenings of interest. I have a monthly drawing among those who sign up for my mailing list for the first time, and the winner receives a free eBook copy of their choice of one of my books.

On my website, you can read the first chapters of all my novels and novellas.

3 comments:

  1. I had a dream that my husband and I would see our girls grown and enjoy our grandkids and spend lots of travelling after we retired. God had other plans for my life and I although it's not what I dreamed I am blessed and have a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete