Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, March 28, 2016

Do You Have Tomorrow?

When people say, ‘She’s got everything,’ I’ve got one answer—I haven’t had tomorrow.”
–Elizabeth Taylor (1932-2011)

In the last blog post here I wrote about the movie, An Affair to Remember, and the lyrics to a song titled “Tomorrowland.” When I saw that the quotation above mentioned tomorrow, I wanted to share some thoughts.

Without a doubt, many consider that Elizabeth Taylor did have everything. But she admitted she didn’t have tomorrow.

Does anybody have tomorrow? We can’t have tomorrow while we live today. Once we arrive at our tomorrow, then it has become our today.

Bible Scripture mentions tomorrow when Jesus commanded us not to worry: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34, NIV)

I can help myself try to understand these words of Jesus by saying I have valid concern but I do not worry needlessly about things I have no control over.

I didn’t say it’s easy not to worry; it isn’t. I can’t dictate the outcome of anything. But if I couple my valid concern with prayer, in God’s will, then I have done the most important thing I’m able to do about any situation.

I’ve read that worry produces harmful chemicals in our bodies. By observing people, you can see that worrying causes frown lines to form on the face. It takes fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown.

So why would we give away our smiles in exchange for a wrinkled face? As I type at the end of each post on my other blog, “Keep on smiling.”

NOTE: If you received this blog post in an email and you'd like to leave a comment or check out something on the sidebar, please click on the title of this post and it will take you to the website where you can do that.


Thanks for reading my blog! My next novel in the West Virginia Mountains Series is titled Promise Me. Look for it this spring.

6 comments:

  1. That is one of the things that I have learned and try to practice - worry doesn't accomplish a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, you're so right! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I have learned worry gets me no where but sick. ost things we worry about never happen and wasted our joy. I am doing better trying to look up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I like your comment -- I have learned worry gets me no where but sick. So true! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. I love that quote, Jo. Good reminder. We all face uncertain futures, even the rich & powerful, but Jesus is still God of tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet, glad you enjoyed this blog post. Yes, he is still the God of tomorrow. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete