Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, February 1, 2016

Finding Happiness


"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." —Abraham Lincoln
 


I’ve written before about Janet Perez Eckles. I’ve never met Janet, but from what I read, I admire her. Janet is a best-selling author, international speaker, and Christian life coach. She’s quick to say that’s what she does, but not who she is.

Although physically blind, Janet Perez Eckles has
Janet Perez Eckles
been teaching thousands to see the best of life. In her own words: "Because I lost my sight at [age] 31 and endured the murder of my youngest son, along with the acquittal of the man responsible, my life should’ve been a mess. But God gave me a message to showcase His power: His power at work to conquer fear and turn the deepest pain to a life rich with triumph and success."


I recently read something Janet wrote titled, "Five Pitfalls to Avoid When Looking for Happiness." If I tried to summarize her thoughts and share them with you, I couldn’t do justice to her words. So, please allow me to share directly from her article:


"Happiness is often confused with joy. Happiness can turn to sadness. And looking for it leaves us disappointed.


"Here are five pitfalls to avoid when looking for happiness:


1.    Looking for it in relationships. Happiness cannot be found in another person, for they’re looking for their own path to happiness.
2.    Longing to be happy by pleasing others rather than pleasing God first.
3.    Expecting circumstances to make us happy, for they change as quickly as the weather.
4.    Waiting for someone to change before we feel happy.
5.    Expecting that happiness will last and bring fulfillment.


"Happiness is fleeting, often elusive and deceptive. Joy is what the soul longs for. Peace is what our heart needs. Wisdom is what brings the greatest rewards. And contentment is what ushers [in] the richness of life.


"That richness is found in complete joy, the kind that’s already in us when we believe. (John 15:9-11) His joy can’t be taken away by circumstances, stages of life, unexpected turns or even tragic events. When happiness wanes, His joy in us remains vibrant.”


Read more about Janet Perez Eckles 


NOTE: If you received this blog post in an email and you'd like to leave a comment or check out something on the sidebar, please click on the title of this post and it will take you to the website where you can do that.



Thanks for reading my blog! My next novel in the West Virginia Mountains Series is titled Promise Me. Look for it next spring.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Yes, God is our true source of joy. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Thanks, Marilyn, for coming by and leaving your comment.

    ReplyDelete