Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, January 11, 2016

What's Your Word for the Year?



              “Love me when I least deserve it, because
that’s when I really need it.”
                                –Swedish proverb

More and more folks are choosing a word to focus on for the year. Sometimes they choose a word they think will improve their life, and many times it seems they choose a word for inspiration. I’ve never done this—try to focus on one word or subject for an entire year. But when I read the above quote it motivated me to do so.


So, my word for this year is love.


The Swedish proverb above mentions that we need love even when we don’t deserve it. Not many people can love someone they judge not to be worthy of receiving their love. We do live in a world full of judgmental attitudes. Someone who readily judges the behavior of another will likely withhold their love from that person. I read this recently: The next time you’re tempted to put someone down, put them on your prayer list first. So apt!


The Bible warns me against being judgmental and I put forth effort to refrain from doing so. In the New Testament, Jesus gives us two important commandments and they both have the word love in them: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind … Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:36-40, NIV).

This year, I’ll try to love as Jesus did. The Reverend Charles Stanley of Atlanta wrote this in a recent devotional regarding the nature of God’s love: “We think we must barter, plead, or try hard to earn the Lord's favor. But as the prodigal son learned (see Luke 15:11-32), the Father's love is unconditional.  … When God looks at His loved ones, He doesn't focus upon past failures, faults, or sin. … No matter how far we may wander from the Lord's perfect will for our lives, we are always welcome back. The Bible teaches that God's love cannot be lost, regardless of sin or poor decisions. Our Father's arms are always open.”

On a lighthearted note, I’ll leave you with this quote from Elizabeth Barrett Browning: "Love doesn’t make the world go round, love is what makes the ride worthwhile."


Do you have a word you will focus on this year?


NOTE: If you received this blog post in an email and you'd like to leave a comment or check out something on the sidebar, please click on the title of this post and it will take you to the website where you can do that.



Thanks for reading my blog! My next novel in the West Virginia Mountains Series is titled Promise Me. Look for it next spring.

2 comments:

  1. Love is a good word - mine is available - being available for ever God wants to do in my life this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann,thank you. I love your word too!

    ReplyDelete