Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, January 18, 2016

Do You Feel Blessed Today?


       "I am grateful for what I am and have. My
                   thanksgiving is perpetual."
                     --Henry David Thoreau

Here are some favorable statistics from the Greater Good Science Center at the University of California, Berkeley about women:


“62% of women reported being more likely to feel grateful than they were 10 years ago.


“64% of women felt strongly that they had so much in their lives for which to be grateful (only half of men did).”


I love the words in the above quotation from Henry David Thoreau that his thanksgiving is perpetual. On the one hand, it’s rather sad that our country chooses to emphasize being thankful on only one day a year. On the other hand, I suppose it’s good that we do that much.


But we can be grateful every day if we will take a few moments to look around. When I catch myself or someone else complaining, I try to switch my thoughts to “it could be worse,” then it’s easier to feel blessed.



Here’s what some women (reported in Woman’s Day magazine) had to say about why they feel blessed:

“My eight years as a nurse on a cancer ward was the most rewarding work I’ve ever done. It’s where I learned my compassion and found out that miracles were possible.” –Stephanie Smith, Omaha, NE


“I had liver disease and needed a transplant. Last year on Valentine’s Day, I found out that my husband, Jack, was a match. Now I’m blessed with another 30-plus years of life and I get to watch my children grow up and hopefully see my grandchildren. He gave me my life back.” –Ruth W. Cohen, Denver


And we’d all be grateful for this: “I feel so lucky when my 10-year old niece says to me while watching me put on makeup, ‘Auntie, why do you wear makeup? You don’t need it.’” –Stephanie Quilao, San Francisco.


It’s difficult to have grateful thoughts while wearing a frown, and we all would be more pleasant to look at without a frown. I’ve read that it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile. So I vote for smiling, looking pleasant, and being thankful.


If we put our mind to it, it’s easy to find something to be grateful for.


NOTE: If you received this blog post in an email and you'd like to leave a comment or check out something on the sidebar, please click on the title of this post and it will take you to the website where you can do that.


 
Thanks for reading my blog! My next novel in the West Virginia Mountains Series is titled Promise Me. Look for it next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment