Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, October 12, 2015

Can Money Buy Happiness?


Money can’t buy happiness.” –Howard Hughes

An article I read recently disagrees with the quotation above. It turns out, according to that article, that money can buy happiness…if you spend it on experiences, not stuff, says Elizabeth Dunn, Ph.D., author of Happy Money: “Experiences, especially those shared with others, make you feel more connected. Plus, they’ll never get lost or ruined.”

I’m amused by the Publishers Clearing House’s claims about my good chances to win their million-dollar giveaways. The only way million applies to me is that my chances for winning are probably 10 million to one.

But it is easy to let the imagination run a little wild when wondering how we would react if we won. Thinking about that much money fills the mind with fantasies as easily as Christmas Eve brings “visions of sugar plums” to children.

What would I do with all that money if I really did win the Publishers Clearing House’s millions? I’ve given it some thought and come up with a couple of things.

When I’m a millionaire, I won’t pump gas for my car again. Instead, I’ll pull up to the full service pumps and let the attendants do that for me. I’ll be reminded of the “good old days” when that was the only way we got gasoline for our cars.

When I’m a millionaire, I’ll travel to all the places I read about. Travel editors of magazines and TV programs have brought faraway places to life for me.

I’ll never become a millionaire. At least not by society’s measurement—I’ll never be a millionaire in terms of money. But in terms of treasures of the heart, I feel I already am a millionaire when it comes to family, friends, church, and community.

I wouldn’t trade places with anyone, not even a millionaire. Because to get something, you sometimes have to give up something to make room for it. And I wouldn’t give up any part of my life, not even for Publishers Clearing House’s millions.

How about you? Leave a comment below about what you would do with a million dollars.

NOTE: If you received this blog post in your email inbox and you'd like to leave a comment or check out something on the sidebar, please click on the title of this post and it will take you to the website where you can do that.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment