Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, February 23, 2015

What Do You Laugh At?

I plan to post here on Lifelines every Monday. I hope you find this blog inspiring and entertaining, perhaps finding a nugget of wisdom to help you in days to come. In the right sidebar you can sign up to follow the blog and never miss when a new post goes up. Also in the right sidebar you can join my mailing list and receive my newsletter, which has a book giveaway in each issue.
                                                      


"People show their character by what they laugh at."
–German Proverb

The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines the word character as: "one of the attributes or features that make up and distinguish an individual." In light of this definition, I think the above quotation is true.

On my website’s “About Jo” page, I write: "I like to laugh with people but not AT people." Another thing I
don’t laugh at is off-color jokes. That’s why in my e-newsletter I have a section titled “Clean Chuckle.” I’m in no way passing judgment here, just sharing what I choose to laugh at.

If we stay around people for very long, we can get hints into their character. I think learning about a person’s character is one way we choose our friends. Parents assess the character of those their children spend time with. Folks assess the character of social circles before deciding to join the group.

One bit of wisdom I picked up long ago was, Birds of a feather flock together. If we examine our lifestyle we’ll find that we certainly do spend time with those of like mind as we are.

What do you laugh at? Or, what do you not laugh at? Do you think people get a glimpse of your character by what you laugh at?                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment