Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, October 20, 2014

Love Someone You Don't Like?


I plan to post here on Lifelines every Monday. Some posts may be humorous but all will be insightful. I hope you find this blog inspiring and entertaining, perhaps finding a nugget of wisdom to help you in days to come. In the right sidebar you can sign up to follow the blog and never miss when a new post goes up. Also in the right sidebar you can join my mailing list and receive my newsletter, which has a book giveaway in each issue.

I have another blog with posts of book giveaways and interviews with, and articles by, Christian authors. You can visit that blog by clicking here.



LOVE SOMEONE YOU DON'T LIKE?

 
"You can love a person deeply and sincerely whom you do not like.
You can like a person passionately whom you do not love
."
--Robert Hugh Benson, English author and clergyman (1871-1914)

 
Whoa! Those are two strong sentences. Do you suppose the writer
of them speaks from experience? How else could he have written such specific, definitive words? If we change the "can" in each sentence to "can't" we then have another whole statement.

I will only speak to that quotation by putting another one in here:

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly." --Sam Keen (born 1931), American author, professor, and philosopher.

Perhaps you've read that quotation in other of my writings. It still is a good quote about love and maybe should be taped to everyone's refrigerator. What do you think about the two quotations above? Not seeking true confessions here, just your thoughts.

I wrote last week that I wouldn't be so wordy today. So, enough said.


2 comments:

  1. I have loved many people that I have not liked. What I have trouble with is the behavior of the person. Usually I spend many hours trying to "correct" the behavior that I feel is troublesome. Sometimes it works; other times, I have to accept defeat. Love does not conquer all. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindy,

      Hmm. Trying to change another's behavior may be frustrating and unfruitful. I applaud you for trying. Have the other people known of your efforts to change their behavior? Have they tried to comply but just couldn't?

      Delete