Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, October 6, 2014

Females in Fighter Jets?

I plan to post here on Lifelines every Monday. Some posts may be humorous but all will be insightful. I hope you find this blog inspiring and entertaining, perhaps finding a nugget of wisdom to help you in days to come. In the right sidebar you can sign up to follow the blog and never miss when a new post goes up. Also in the right sidebar you can join my mailing list and receive my newsletter, which has a book giveaway in each issue.



Please allow me to quote an Associated Press news article from last week:

“DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The first

female air force pilot in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) led airstrikes against Islamic State militants in Syria.  Last week Mariam al-Mansouri, a F-16 pilot from the UAE, was introduced to the world, smiling out from under her helmet and hijab after launching air strikes in Syria, part of a US-led campaign against Islamic State.

“[By doing so, she positioned herself] in the conflict
between so-called moderate and more fundamentalist schools of Islamic thought in the Middle East. On one side she is depicted as a traitor to Arabs struggling to overthrow evil dictators. On the other, she’s an archetype of Arab society advancing into the future.

“For some Americans, she was a sort of Katharine Hepburn meets Amelia Earhart who had shattered prevalent stereotypes of Arab women.”

If you’ve read my writing for very long you know that Amelia Earhart is one of my three human heroes. She, like Ms. Mansouri, was a trailblazer for women in the aviation world. Our civilization has had many, male and female, who have stepped out to lead toward new horizons. Sadly to say, some led in the wrong direction.

But women in combat? In a fighter jet? I’ve yearned to pilot a small airplane for as long as I can remember. So, from that standpoint, I admire Ms. Mansouri. But I wouldn’t go for the risks encountered in military air strikes.

Would you want to do what Ms. Mansouri did? Would you want that for your daughter or sister? Share your feelings on this. Again, you don’t have to agree with me but I would be glad to read your opinions.


4 comments:

  1. While I admire Ms. Mansouri, I have no desire to pilot a fighter jet or take the risks. And I definitely wouldn't want my daughter to. Generally speaking, I believe war needs to be left to the men. Actually, I wish it didn't have to be left to anyone! War is a terrible, terrible thing, but as long as evil exists, there will be war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, yes, war is a terrible, terrible thing. Evil does exist and it often takes in the direction of risks, even death. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Excellent point, Patricia. When my son was very young, he planned to go in the Air Force because that was then the clearest path to the astronaut corps. After the Columbia disaster, he changed that goal, and I was very relieved because he wouldn't have to face the dangers of being in the military.

    But my child chosen to pursue a military career, I would have supported that -- and I would have done so even if my child were a woman. Not all people are called to that vocation, but those who are deserve our support regardless of gender.

    Women have always been able to kick tail, especially when their children and homelands are in danger. Considering how brutal ISIS has been to women -- raping them and selling them into the sex trade -- I for one am thrilled to see an Arab woman fighting back.

    Men have always done the bulk of the fighting, but look at history, and you will see they often had women alongside. Women fought in the French Resistance in World War II. The viking shieldmaidens are rightly legendary. And remember Boadicea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, thank you for your thoughtful comment. You mention those in the military deserve our support. I agree. But since we currently have a volunteer armed forces, do you wonder why one would volunteer for "the dangers of being in the military"? Do you suppose our great numbers of unemployed young people could contribute to that motivation?

      Delete