Photo by Mallory

Photo by Mallory


Today is another day on our life's journey.

Perhaps here you can find encouragement

for wherever your journeys may take you.

Welcome to my thinking place where you can

read insightful posts.

ADD_THIS

Monday, September 22, 2014

Violence Toward Women

I plan to post here on Lifelines every Monday. Some posts may be humorous but all will be insightful. I hope you find this blog inspiring and entertaining, perhaps finding a nugget of wisdom to help you in days to come. In the right sidebar you can sign up to follow the blog and never miss when a new post goes up. Also in the right sidebar you can join my mailing list and receive my newsletter, which has a book giveaway in each issue.

                                                    Violence Toward Women

When a country singer (I can’t remember his name) sang about Behind Closed Doors the song referred to a loving situation once the bedroom door closed. From recent news headlines, behind closed doors—be it the front door, the bedroom door, or an elevator door—is not a safe place for women.

Why now is there such emphasis put on violence to women? Some talking heads on 24/7 TV cable news say the movement to protect women is political—to gain women’s votes. I don’t know.

I realize that sometimes a woman may meet someone without any knowledge of his past and be swept off her feet. The new acquaintance may be devious and cool, giving an impression of one who wouldn’t hurt a fly. A romantic relationship develops and the woman is deliriously happy. As the news today reads, then something snaps in the man in the relationship and he shows his true identity as a person by his physical mistreatment of another.

There always has been an occasional woman appear for work with a bruise that she explains away by saying she ran into a door. Duh?! Running into a door doesn’t leave bruises up and down the arm. Nor does it leave fingerprints and a ring of bruises around the neck. Many times a woman feels that the situation somehow is her fault. Duh, again!

In the Bible, First Corinthians Chapter 13 is the litmus test for true love, whether  romantic or platonic. Regularly reading this chapter together could be a cure for these outbursts of physical violence in relationships of all kinds—couples, families, and friends.

Southern Mothers teach their daughters to be sweet. Blending sweetness with the biblical reference mentioned above would be a win-win situation.

The virtue of a person is measured not by his outstanding efforts, but by his everyday behavior.” –Blaise Pascal, a French mathematician, physicist, inventor, writer and Christian philosopher (1623-1662)

11 comments:

  1. Have you seen the video of Emma Watson's speech at the UN? It is a very moving speech and now she is having death threats because of her speech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, no, I haven't seen the video. Thanks for telling me about it. Oh, no, death threats. Maybe my sweet little post won't get me any of those. Thanks for leaving your comment.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your comments. This is so true. My first book which I'm praying will debut in January is about a girl that got engaged to a man that then became verbally and later physically abusive. The story shows how easily sweet girls can become convinced that something is wrong with them, not the abuser. Of course it has a happy ending and I plan to follow up with a sequel on the redemption of the abuser. Look for Ever Locked by Jeannie Kaye on Kindle in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, seems like your story plot matches some of the content of my post. Thanks for sharing about your book. I'll be looking for Ever Locked in January.

      Delete
  3. So right, Jeannie! I'm positively against any shape or method of abuse. Good post, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, thank you. Glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for reading and for leaving your comment. I didn't mention in this post but I also don't like to even hear about abuse and violence against children and pets.

      Delete
  4. Let's not forget that men are also victims of domestic violence. What a sad world we live in that people are constantly having to guard against abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindy, you're right about men also being victims of domestic violence. It would be a wonderful world if we didn't have to guard against abuse. It breaks my hearts when I read about so-called parents abusing their defenseless children. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The saddest problem I have noted about abuse is that it seems to be learned by one generation from another. I have never understood why a person that has survived abuse would ever do the same horrendous acts towards others. Unfortunately, as first a mental health counselor and then as a public school teacher I saw this happen time and time again. What a true vicious cycle this problem is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindy, thanks for leaving your thoughts. Another thing I've noticed is many times a parent disciplines their child the same way they were disciplined by their parents. Sometimes this is good, sometimes bad.

      Delete
    2. Parenting is truly an awesome task.

      As a teacher, I always tried to treat children with as much respect as I hoped to receive from them. I really never had many discipline problems in my classroom. I believe my students tried to live up to my expectations.

      Delete